Sunday, November 12, 2017

Loon Lake Camp Retreat Part 1


(This will be divided into 3 or 4 parts, this will be very long)

Between Nov. 9 and Nov. 10, 2017, I went to Loon Lake Camp in Mission, BC, along with 31 other people. Our leaders were very helpful and let the retreat well. It was great camping and having fun with friends. Although sleeping was rough, the atmosphere was good. More on that later. Below was the house cabin that I slept in. I was surprised on how tidy it was. 




There were two cabins that accompanied 16 people each with 8 rooms, and a third cabin that accompanied eight more. The cabins had a small living room, with 2 bathrooms that also had a small shower. The bathrooms were sooo clean and had a good smell. Here is another view of the two big cabins.


Day 1

We arrived at Loon Lake at around 10:30 AM. It was raining at that time, but not too hard. In the room we all meet up in (called the Common Room), Our leaders put us in pre-selected cabins, and I was in an OK cabin. My leader was Liam, and my cabinmates were Myles and a few other people I was somewhat close with. But there were better cabins, such as:

(You asked for it Brendan L.)

CABIN POWER RANKINGS (My thoughts when first heard the cabin names)

#1: Danesh's cabin: (Shoutout to Julian V. and Brendan L.)
#2: Alex's cabin: (Shoutout to Gabriel T.)
#3: Liam's (My) cabin: (Shoutout to Myles M., Anish V., and Justin M.)
#4: Sean's cabin: (Who was in this one again? JK)

One big thing to find out was that every time you enter a room, you remove your shoes and only walk in your socks. Very interesting, and it's a good thing I brought 3 socks for the trip.

10:45 AM

Our leader, Liam, showed us around the camp, as they got here a day earlier to prepare on leading us for this retreat. The place looked nice when Liam showed us the tour. We had time to unpack our bags and sleeping gear, and for being in this cabin for the first time, it was nice to have a clean cabin.

11:15 AM

We played a few icebreaker games in different stations as cabins, such afaiths "The Egg Drop" and "Telephone Charades", and if we worked together well and go the most points, we get to eat lunch first. So it got a bit competitive with some trash talk went around some cabins while switching stations. We came third out of four with one point. Oh well. At least we were not last.

12:00 PM

The lunch bell rang, and we all lined up for lunch. We went inside what was called the "Bentley Family Dining Hall", we removed our shoes, washed our hands, and sat down with our cabinmates. For lunch, there was a beef sandwich, french fries (YUM!), some coleslaw, and some other side dishes, including soup. I got a lot of fries with lots of ketchup, and it was delicious. I filled up my stomach. Also, I learned that this place was only built a few years ago.

12:45 PM

We got some free time to roam around the cabin. By then, I fully unpacked my belongings and I chatted with a few friends. Lots of jokes were made, and I laughed a lot.

1:15 PM

It was time to start the retreat in the common room. There was lots of talking from the leaders with their reflections, and a small activity where you pick an item from a luggage and talk about why you picked it. I picked this exact sports cap seen on the right/below and said that I am a huge fan of sports. Then we went into our cabins and answered the questions said in the reflection. We did this for a while.

2:30 PM

More talking from the leaders and we sang a bit in the common room. More questions and more group talk in the cabins. I got to learn more about my cabinmates though, and that was nice. The "analyzer" (me) is in effect.

3:45 PM

We had a fifteen minute break before a fun "Capture the Flag" competition.

That is where I will stop for today, part 2 comes out tomorrow, starting with Capture the Flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you want to, but no hate unless it is constructive criticism.