Saturday, November 25, 2017

Loon Lake Camp Retreat Part 4


Please read Loon Lake Camp Retreat Part 1, Loon Lake Camp Retreat Part 2, and Loon Lake Camp Retreat Part 3 first! Okay, if you have read it, then on to part 4. I have decided to add a fifth to add small events and my thoughts on the trip.

There is one major event that happened on day 1 that I did not add, I will start with that first.

About 6:45 PM (The 45 min free time period)

Our leaders announced that we would write letters to each other. You can write to as many people as you want, and you can write a simple "thanks" or "hello", or write a paragraph, but must fit the small slips of paper that your leader gave you. When I heard this, I was quite happy because there are people who deserve a letter from me. I made 6 letters and 2 smiley faces, so I sent about 1/4 of the group a letter, which seems fair to me. One rule was that it has to be positive. The goal of this was to write to people you normally wouldn't write to, and there was one person that applied to that that I wrote to (won't say who).

8:45 AM (Back to day 2)

We went back to our cabins and packed up more, I brushed my teeth, Jesse cleared his bed, Justin cleaned the floor, everyone in my cabin was working productively.

9:15 AM

Everyone was finished early packing up, including the other cabins, so we all chatted around and going to other cabins. I wrote one more letter to someone, and that was it.

9:45 AM

We arrived in the common room to put our letters in envelopes and after that, we had Mass.

10:00 AM

Mass was fine. I made a few notes that happened during the next hour, though.

  • Jericho slept during the homily by leaning his head on a pillar. LOL.
  • During the peace be with you segment, there was a lot of shaking hands, and someone fell I think.
  • The friar performed Mass well, no mistakes.
  • The bread and wine came around during communion, and I got my bread, but when the wine came around and was offered to me, I did this to Marcus:

  • No, I did not make that face. But that cup is disgusting when I saw that half of the people decided to drink wine from the cup (I was the second to last person to get the bread/wine)
11:00 AM

After Mass, we went back to our cabins and just had more chatting, inside and outside the cabins. Nothing much, just waiting for lunch.

11:45 PM

For our final meal at Loon Lake, it was make your own wrap or make a sandwich. For desert there was banana bread (or cake?) and a raisin (or cranberry?) cookie. I had a sandwich and put ham and cheese in it, and I got 2 cakes and a cookie. What kind of cheese did I eat? It tasted bad. I originally thought it was banana bread, but it was very sticky that I passed my second cake to Nico. This was my least favourite meal out of the four.

Was It Banana Bread 
Or Banana Cake??

Meal Rank'em Time

1. Breakfast
2. Lunch (Day 1)
3. Dinner
4. Lunch (Day 2)

12:30 PM

The teachers gave the leaders the letters, and Liam passed my envelope to me. I told Myles that these letters were just a popularity contest, but when I got my letters, I was shocked how many wrote to me. I got:

11 Letters

Wow. I did not expect that many! I got a simple "thanks" from one person, Liam sent me a looong paragraph (he sent everyone in our cabin one), Then I read Brett's letter: 



God of poker? (I think so.) That was funny. All the letters were positive and thoughtful. Myles and I traded envelopes and his were great, too.

1:00 PM

The shuttle buses arrived, and it was time for us to go. How sad, as it was a sunny day, but we had to leave someday, and I had an excellent time overall.

So that's Loon Lake in a nutshell! Stay tuned for Part 5 as I break down the bus rides and other facts about this Loon Lake adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you want to, but no hate unless it is constructive criticism.